Pages

Sunday, August 06, 2006

Click

Click
2006 -- Rated PG-13
Director: Frank Coraci
Adam Sandler, Kate Beckinsale, Christopher Walken


    When Adam Sandler first came on the scene I didn't get it. I didn't get it with Saturday Night Live, I didn't get it with Billy Madison or Happy Gilmore. But then came The Wedding Singer and I began to get it. Then The Waterboy, Mr. Deeds, and 50 First Dates and I was a fan. When 2004's Spanglish came out I wasn't sure I was ready for a serious Adam Sandler but the movie, storyline and characters won me over readily. Then came Click. I wasn't sure what to expect with this film but I figured it would be more of the comedic Adam Sandler. It was, but what I wasn't ready for was the serious message this film gets across. By the middle of the film, no one is laughing. Instead I hear sobs as the audience realizes that Sandler's character is trapped in a whirlpool of events that are spiraling faster and faster out of control. When the film ends and the audience is packed away in their cars and heading home I wonder if they like me have been made to reflect on their own lives and the choices they have made. The films message is clear - family MUST come before career or we will be looking back on our lives in the end with sadness and regret.

    Yes, there is comedy in Click but it is used sparingly and artfully. Sandler has made a giant leap ahead as an actor to be taken seriously.

    I would be remiss if I didn't also point out the stellar performances by the enigmatic Christopher Walken and the stunningly beautiful Kate Beckinsale who oozes a mature sexuality in every scene.

No comments: